Re: Implicit/Explicit IV

At 3:30 PM +0100 10/12/01, ranjeet barve wrote:
>hi,
>I had a question on the use of Implicit and Explicit
>IV.
>I have come across following Situations in the various
>IPsec Implementations:
>1) Implicit IV is used by generating it at the
>respective peers by use of SEQ_ID.i.e
>            IV[0-3] = Seq-id;
>            IV[4-7] = ~Seq-id;
>
>2) Explicit IV is used for the first Packet i.e IV is
>generated Randomly + all following packets of the same
>Tunnel use Implicit IV as the last 8 bytes of the
>Cipher Text of the earlier Packet.
>
>3) Explicit IV is used for all the Packets of a
>particular Tunnel.
>
>Does Cases 1 and 2, not lead to interoperabality issue
>if both ends(Peers) are not using the same IPsec
>Implementation? i.e How do different IPsec
>Implementations Interop.
>Which is the most standard way to use in Implicit IV
>case?

whether an IV is implicit or explicit is defined as part of the RFC
for the encryption algorithm and mode in question. thus, when
negotiating the algorithm/mode, each peer will know how to locate or
generate the IV.

case 3 above is clearly the default mode for DES or 3DES CBC. that is
the primary standard in use today. what RFC(s) define the modes you
allude to in cases 1 & 2?

Steve