A short letter about VPN security

Dear Sir£¬

I'm very interesting in VPN security. A problem
troubles me, but I don't know wether it is worth
proposing.

How to solve overlay of security function in a layered
protocol stack? For example, in a security  VPN
implemention of "L2TP over IPSec", perhaps it has
carried out encryption in a private network, but when
a private packet is handled by IPSec, the second
encryption is applied.  However£¬if the edge VPN
device doesn't do encryption process to the incoming
private packet, the control information field or other
fields  that can't be encrypted in a private network
will be exposed to the public network.So attackers can
analyse the private traffic and so it will result in
many potential threats.

Is it not serious in a VPN?