From: Joel Snyder <Joel.Snyder@Opus1.COM>
To: John Border <border@hns.com>
Cc: Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking <Radia.Perlman@sun.com>,
        ipsec@lists.tislabs.com, narten@raleigh.ibm.com, nordmark@Eng.Sun.COM
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:49:22 -0700
Subject: Re: Does anyone care about IPcomp with IKE? (IPcomp=IP compression)

There are two other reasons why putting compression in IKE is probably
preferable to doing it ad-hoc in protocols at the higher layer
(end-to-end argument notwithstanding):

1) VPN boxes typically have lots of spare cycles because they're heavily
overconfigured, and therefore the burden of compression is not as much
of an issue on them as it might be on end systems.  Similarly, the VPN
boxes are often closer to the WAN side of the network where compression
is more of a win.  In testing real compression implementations, it is
often not worth compressing on the LAN because the overhead of
compression is not compensated for by the savings in transmission.
(i.e., it goes slower when compressed sometimes) Ergo, the choice on
whether to compress or not is more topology/routing based than
end-system based.

2) IPSEC REALLY needs compression to avoid fragmentation---large packets
which can save 60 octets via compression don't have to be fragmented in
ESP.  So whereas compression in general may or may not be useful in many
cases, in ESP it's a big win (for large packets) to save a few octets.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
+1 520 324 0494 x101 (voice)    +1 520 324 0495 (FAX)