Re: ipsec in tunnel mode and dynamic routing

Giaretta Gerardo <Gerardo.Giaretta@TILAB.COM> writes:

> Hi all,
> I have a question about using ipsec in tunnel mode together with dynamic
> routing: I read draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-01.txt but
> I'm not sure that I understood it clearly.
>
> Consider this example: (it's really similar to the example made in the
> draft)

>                            /    \
>                     3   /        \  4
>                        /            \
>         X --...--> A              D  --...--> Y
>                        \        	/
>                    1    \         /   1
>                           \      /

You should not use IPsec on a hop-by-hop basis.  Assuming A and D are
your Security Gateways, all packets should be encrypted between A and
D, regardless of the path they take.

In other words, a packet arrives at A from X for Y.  A knows that
it has to get to D, so it tunnels the packet to D, which can go
via either B or C (which is unimportant).  Then D decapsulates
the packet and sends it on the Y.

If C goes down, you re-route via B.

If D goes down, you are out of luck.

-derek