Re: SOI: preshared

At 11:45 AM -0800 11/19/01, Michael Thomas wrote:
>The consequence of using naked public keys in lieu
>of symmetric keys is that you incur the cost of
>both a DH and a RSA operation. You could
>conceivably get rid of the DH if you don't care
>about identity, but for preshared keys it seems
>questionable why you'd want to do _either_.

It doesn't have to be a bare public key. A self-signed cert has other
signed attributes in it, such as the key validity date and an
identity. The recipient simply needs to pull the public key out of
the cert to check that key against its set of trusted public keys.
(One doesn't need to trust this as a root cert: it is easy to make a
policy of "if I get a self-signed cert as an identifier, I won't do
any chaining, even if the cert says chaining is OK").

Using self-signed certs is the method that JFK currently uses to
allow simple trust between two parties without needing a PKI. There
is no shared-secret mode.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

Follow-Ups: References: