Re: SOI: identity protection and DOS

The problem with identity protection is that it is
inherently unequal; it involves a round trip to
collect the DH values as you point out. Also: I
think I disagree with your "fullest" assessment
since simple traffic analysis may shatter many
false illusions about protected identities.

Note that I'm not saying we should make it a
non-requirement, only that we put it in the proper
perspective.

		Mike

Henry Spencer writes:
 > On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Michael Thomas wrote:
 > > ...IMO, identity protection is
 > > overblown. If by simple traffic analysis I see a
 > > static IP address for a server which I can reverse
 > > map, and even a dynamic address which I can
 > > reverse map to a particular POP, a determined
 > > attacker is probably going to have a pretty good
 > > idea that you're visiting naughtybits.com...
 >
 > As others have noted already, an identity can be more than just an IP
 > address, and protection for parts of it may be desirable.
 >
 > I would add that, other things being equal, the fullest possible
 > protection of everything should be the default, not an option.  That way,
 > users with truly sensitive material aren't prominently advertised as such
 > by the fact that they're the only ones using protection.
 >
 > (Of course, that "other things being equal" covers a multitude of sins.
 > Whether identity protection justifies an extra round trip is a harder
 > question than whether it justifies a few more CPU cycles.)
 >
 >                                                           Henry Spencer
 >                                                        henry@spsystems.net

Follow-Ups: References: