Re: IKEv2 (son-of-ike) draft

I read through some of this draft, and mainly I'd say it looks very
good. At least when compared to the current RFCs. Comments follow.

- If, as I understand, there is to be a 'selection' as to what will
  be the next IKE, what chance has anybody against a protocol that is
  named draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-00.txt?

As to the specifics of this protocol, in my view IKEv2 should have
these kinds of requirements:

- IKEv2 must enable all traffic to be protected as well as possible.
  If there is no common authentication method, a method to do just
  encryption should be provided.

- IKEv2 must be well defined. For example, this draft doesn't state
  clearly how the critical bit is to be used (for each payload), notifies
  are unclear and should be accompanied by a state machine.
  I.e. if a cert payload with critical bit contains a DSS-signature,
  is it critical that you know "cert payload", support DSS-signatures, or what?

- I have a strong dislike for the current VID method. It fails to
  provide several key requirements:
  a) Some problems are best solved by having a new payload in the
     first message. Like in ESPUDP IKE negotiation we could have used
     such a payload, but it's not possible with VIDs. (The bad thing about
     this is that it's not easy to change the protocol structure when
     official numbers are assigned.)
  b) A VID does not define how the protocol is to be extended, it
     just says that after you see this, you can twist IKE as much
     as you want.
  c) A VID does nothing to prevent conflicts between two drafts that
     just happen to allocate the same private use number.

Here's an alternative to VIDs that we could consider:
- A new payload is defined that defines exactly what private use numbers
  an implementation uses and what they are used for. In this way the private
  use numbers are viewed as variables, i.e.
  #define PAYLOAD_TYPE_128  "draft-my-draft-whatever-00.txt:nonce-thingie"
  etc., or use an OID instead
- The initiator sends that in the first message, and following that payload
  a payload of type 128 may occur in the same message. The responder sends
  them in the first reply.
- Responder will map only private use attributes that don't conflict with
  the initiator's choices. So a draft will never say "payload number 128",
  it will say "private payload that maps to xxxx".

- IKEv2 would be easier to test if a method to authenticate using preshared
  secrets was provided. Like, how about hmac-sha-1 signatures?

Ari

Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking wrote:

> And to answer some of the recent email on the list...this
> protocol does maintain the phase 1/phase 2 notion, but sets up
> both phase 1 and phase 2 in a single 2-round-trip exchange.
> After the initial exchange, additional SAs can be set up,
> or the SA can be rekeyed, with a single round trip. And it
> does identity hiding of both ends.
>
> Most of the work was in rewriting the three documents into
> a single self-contained document, and cleaning up the "networking"
> type issues and overly complex encodings such as
> the SA payload.
>
> Radia

temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Ari Huttunen                   phone: +358 9 2520 0700
Software Architect             fax  : +358 9 2520 5001

F-Secure Corporation       http://www.F-Secure.com

F(ully)-Secure products: Securing the Mobile Enterprise

Follow-Ups: References: