Re: SOI: identity protection and DOS

Derek Atkins writes:
 > Michael Thomas <mat@cisco.com> writes:
 >
 > > How do I know whether I trust the other party
 > > before I divulge my identity? Somebody has to go
 >
 > you may or may not trust the other entity, however do you trust
 > all of the snoopers listening along between you and the peer?

   I guess that don't draw a huge distinction of where
   the privacy leak happened, especially in the example
   given where there should be no expectation of privacy
   since it's given to untrusted but authenticatable parties.

 > I happen to agree with Radia's point that you should try to protect
 > the initiator's identity before the responder's identity (which
 > implies the responder should authenticate to the initiator first).
 > Yes, this implies an extra round trip, but if the initiator wants to
 > protect their identity they should have the choice to do so.

   I'm not arguing about choice. I'm arguing about
   average behavior. On average, people don't take
   the same precautions gaurding their home as
   they do nuclear arsenals. Nor should they; the
   risk if compromised is small and the expense
   is prohibitive. That is, we should make the
   average case reflect the actual risk/expense
   instead of erring on the paranoid.

	      Mike

Follow-Ups: References: