Re: SOI: identity protection and DOS

Hugo Krawczyk writes:
 > On 20 Nov 2001, Derek Atkins wrote:
 > [...]
 > >
 > > I happen to agree with Radia's point that you should try to protect
 > > the initiator's identity before the responder's identity (which
 > > implies the responder should authenticate to the initiator first).
 > > Yes, this implies an extra round trip, but if the initiator wants to
 > > protect their identity they should have the choice to do so.
 > >

 > No, it does NOT imply an extra round trip. It is the other way around.
 > Protecting the initiator from active attacker takes just 3 messages.
 > Protecting the responder takes 4.
 > See the SIGMA draft
 > (http://www.ee.technion.ac.il/~hugo/draft-krawczyk-ipsec-ike-sigma-00.txt)

   If you allow for pre-shared keys, then it clearly
   requires an extra message or two. Which is why we
   should determine what the actual requirement is
   re pre-shared keys. If it's a requirement, then
   we need to confront the time/protection tradeoff.
   If it's not a requirement, this mostly vanishes.

	   Mike

Follow-Ups: References: