Re: SOI: identity protection and DOS

> To play devil's advocate, you can (relatively-) easily share a
> secret via voice and telephone.  Sharing a public key via telephone
> is much more challenging.
>
> OTOH, one could send the public key via email and then vocally
> exchange a hash of the key, so I suppose it's six or one-half
> dozen....

even better: exchange the hash via phone and send the key during protocol.
why it's better? if we have systems that use shared secrets for
authentication and procedures for exchanging those keys we can keep those
systems and simply replace "shared secret" with "hash of the public key".
(i'm talking from managemental perspective of course). "shared secret" and
"hash of the public key" look very much the same when we are talking about
secure shared secrets (long enough and random enough). this way we have a
kind of upgrade path for those systems that are currently using shared
secrets for authentication and would like to swich over to new key
exchange protocol.

arne