RE: SOI: identity protection and DOS

This might sound like I am splitting hairs, but my point was to examine
situations where you can get authentication but not secrecy. With a PGP web
of trust, secrecy isn't a requirement, but it's easy enough to set up an SA
once you already assume authentication, so PGP doesn't actually facilitate
key exchange in a public environment any more than a preshared secret with a
trusted intermediary would.

The other point is that when you exchange a public key through a trusted
intermediary, you are trusting them not to substitute a different public key
so they can impersonate you. If you exchange a shared secret through a
trusted intermediary, you are again trusting them not to remember the key so
they can impersonate you. Maybe you could argue that in some practical
situations the risks are smaller in the PK case, but the situations are
still basically analagous. In cases where the web of trust extends more than
1 or 2 intermediaries, I would argue that the peer is not "meaningfully"
authenticated.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.