Re: SOI: identity protection and DOS

The out-of-band channel is used before bootstrap.
I infer that both self-singed cert and pre-shared key using this channel
with
the same requirement.

I am comparing the usings between public key in the self-cert and pre-shared
key.

You seems agree that the self-signed cert need encryption (well, except
public key) for
the sake of 'id protection'.
Hence, you will agree that both using of these require
authentication and encryption for the distribution (out-of-band) channel.

Also, if you agree to encrypt  cert  for 'id protection' while transmission
then
the storage of cert will require encryption.

Using self-signed CA cert is subject to MIM attack,
it will have "chain reaction" (...) if the attack is successful.
(assuming no out-of-band secured channel is used and
the CA's public key expired from time to time,...)

--- David

PS. Regular cert or self-signed cert
requires integrity check on the cert itself for tampering proof.