Re: On shared keys (was RE: SOI: identity protection and DOS)

Here is my observation:

The RSA puliblic/private key (RSA key) is better than symmetric pre-shared
key (SPSK) in the following way:
Suppose both the RSA key and SPSK all using centerally managed server in a
domain and
further assume that the SPSK is one for each device (not one for each pair
of device).
Let's say there are 500 devices in this domain:
Then there will be 500 keys for SPSK so is RSA keys.
Each device will either have 499 public keys or 499 SPSKs.
Given the key management (add/delete/remove) are *almost* equal, the SPSK
has
a not ignorable drawback than RSA Key structure:
To break RSA key, attacker has to break into the device that hold the
private key or
break into the device that itself is the victim of MIM attack.
The device has to responsible for its own security.
(Given the real world that the security of a device are not created equal,
this is a reasonable requirement)

On the other hand, to break a SPSK, the attacker can choose any of the 500
devices to breakin.
The risk is much higher for a device due to it demand all other participated
devices have the
same security level.

Sure, the SPSK can increase the number of keys that limited the key to only
two parties
(and increase the complexicity of the key management)
but still it is 200% risk more than RSA key due to it demands the same level
of security level on
peer.

--- David