Re: Stephane's Comments on IKEv2

"Stephane Beaulieu" <stephane@cisco.com> writes:

> I'm still not very keen on this "windowing" concept.  It seems that the
> initiator will have to perform some logic to ensure that it doesn't
> overwhelm the responder.  In essence, the initiator is doing the responder's
> job in managing it's resources.  I prefer the model where the initiator
> makes requests, and the responder processes as many as he can.  Once the
> responder is overwhelmed, it starts to ignore requests.  The initiator's job
> in this case is to ensure that it re-requests the service if it is still
> needed, or perhaps attempt a connection with a secondary Gateway which is
> hopefully not as busy.

As TCP has shown, you want to squelch traffic as close to the source
as possible.  The fact that the initiator is behaving properly is a
Good Thing (TM).  However you are correct that the responder should
still protect itself from a misbehaving initiator.  This doesn't mean
that initiators should be free to drown out a responder if they
believe they REALLY want that service! ;)

-derek