Please save the pre-shared key mode

Title: Message

I have noticed that pre-shared key has been eliminated in the new key management protocol drafts. I understand the urge to simplify the existing IKE protocol. However, I do think that pre-shared key mode should be left as an option. There are a couple of reasons for that suggestion:

1) Simplicity
Pre-shared key mode is simpler to support by eliminating the requirement of supporting complex PKI. Without the pre-shared key mode, are we forcing ourselves into using PKI system  (assuming we are not using KINK)? If so, I would like to suggest that the new IKE replacement draft authors add the PSK options. There are many existing deployment of PSK based IPsec VPN and service providers are happy to keep the way it is without using PKI.

2) Cost
Running PKI requires additional resources and increase the overall cost of VPN deployment for managed service providers, while end customer sees no increased benefits. If a customer out-sources his VPN and he only cares about site-to-site secure connection, he is probably not willing to choose a more costly PKI based solution.

3) Scalability
Although PKI does provide a much better scalability in key delivery, for a managed VPN where each device has a secure channel to the managing server, this advantage is less important. PSK can be generated and provisioned to each box via the management channel to the device easily for a managed VPN, along with other IPsec tunnel parameter settings. Under such a centralized managed VPN, PSK based solution has a good scalability.

We have implementations and operational experience that show that an automated VPN management tool has no scalability difficulties managing PSK for each tunnel.  Therefore we believe that PSK is a viable choice for VPN implementations and that PSK mode should be saved.