Son-of-IKE Performance

As background to the discussion, I thought it might be worth
looking at performance of the various IKE replacements.
The following table summarizes the performance behavior of
the major proposals as far as I can make out.
I've also added TLS for comparison.

Protocol     Initiator     Responder     Latency
IKEv2	     1 signature   1 signature	 2 RTT
	     1 verify	   1 verify
	     1 DH agree	   1 DH agree

IKEv2	     1 signature   1 signature	 3 RTT
(DoS mode)   1 verify	   1 verify
	     1 DH agree	   1 DH agree

SIGMA	     1 signature   1 signature	 1.5 RTT [1]
	     1 verify	   1 verify
	     1 DH agree	   1 DH agree

SIGMA	     1 signature   1 signature	 2.5 RTT [1]
(DoS mode)   1 verify	   1 verify
	     1 DH agree	   1 DH agree

JFK(normal)  1 signature   1 signature	 2 RTT
	     2 verifies	   1 verify
	     1 DH agree	   1 DH agree

JFK(PFS)[2]  1 signature   2 signatures	 2 RTT
	     2 verifies	   1 verify
	     1 DH agree	   1 DH agree

TLS (RSA)[3] 1 signature   1 decryption  2 RTT
	     1 RSA encrypt 1 verify

TLS (PFS)[3] 1 signature   1 signature	 2 RTT
	     1 verify	   1 verify
	     1 DH agree	   1 DH agree

Notes:
[0] I'm ignoring the following computational costs since
they're more or less constant across protocols and are
usually cheap.

    Digests, symmetric encryption, and PRFs.
    Certificate verification (not cheap if DSS)
    All of the PFS modes require an additional g^x mod p.

[1] I'm dubious about the value of this. As Phill Hallam-Baker
argues, you'd probably want to use a 4-message handshake anyway.

[2] In JFK, PFS mode is incompatible with DoS protection.

[3] Note that TLS has an anonymous client mode which is even
faster: 1 RSA encrypt on the client and 1 RSA decrypt
on the server.

[4] Here are some approximate timings for the various operations
(measured on a Celeron 300). All moduli are 1024-bit.

RSA private key op	     30 ms
RSA public key op	      2 ms
DH key agree (1024-bit X)   100 ms
             (256-bit X)     25 ms