IKEv2 & DoS protection

> > > Does this mean that if you want anti-clogging protection
> you need to
> > > send 6 messages, not 4?
> >
> > Yes. Deployment experience has shown that a box is usually not under
> > attack and that it would be nice to eliminate the overhead for the
> > usual (overwhelming majority) case.
> Yes, that's what I figured. Just making sure I understood.

In disussions related to DoS protection during the last few years, there
have been many suggestions for how to do DoS protection:

1. Mandatory stateless cookie exchange (e.g. Photuris)
2. Optional stateless cookie exchange (e.g. Oakley)
3. Random drop
4. STATE payload
5. Repeat payloads from message 1 in message 3
6. (5) with a round-trip optimization (e.g. JFK)

All of these work, although (3), which is what you're supposed to do with
modern day IKE, has a lot of undesirable properties.

(6) is a very clever optimization, and although I am a fan of doing things
just because they are cool, I can't help thinking that (2) is the superior
approach. When I heard that JFK was going to be state DoS resistant and
protect the identity of the initiator in a 4 message exchange, I was
initially very skeptical. But they did it, and I congratulate the authors
for resolving three seemingly incompatible goals.

But I guess the question on my mind is still "Okay, but so what." (6)
imposes severe restrictions on the format of the exchange. (2) is just a
modular DoS protection mechanism that could be grafted onto any key exchange
without degrading average case performance. (2) is a more generic solution,
and IMHO that makes it better.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.