Re: Please save the pre-shared key mode

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Alex Alten wrote:
> I *strongly* 2nd this motion.  It would be extremely foolish
> to eliminate PSK support.  Foolish in this case translates into
> lots of extra expensive hardware, etc., for our poor customers.

You need to be more precise about what you want.  Is it preshared key mode
in particular, or just some sort of non-PKI mode that does not require
extensive infrastructure to get it set up?  Don't confuse one with the
other; at least some of the new proposals can provide the latter easily
even though they do not provide the former.

If you believe you specifically need preshared key mode, please explain
why in more detail.  The need for "lots of extra expensive hardware" has
to be justified, not just asserted.  Our implementation does both, using
the sort of hardware that can be found in dumpsters these days.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net