From: Michael Thomas [mailto:mat@cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 1:06 PM
To: Wang, Cliff
Cc: 'Michael Thomas'; Alex Alten; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: RE: Please save the pre-shared key mode

Wang, Cliff writes:
 > Very simple reasons,
 >
 > IKEv1 is going to be replaced by IKEv2 in the future and KINK has yet to
be  > standardized and it is not going to replace IKE. On the other hand,
adding  > PSK support in IKEv2 is not an overkill, but provides much more  >
flexibilities and more choices for service providers.

KINK is very close to last call, and nobody's
claiming that it will replace IKE. And "choice" is
not necessarily a good thing. In fact, one of the
major lessons of IKEv1 (taken to heart by KINK)
was that "choice" is a distinctly *bad* thing.
Simplicity and narrow purpose in security
protocols is a *feature*, not a bug.

	     Mike