RE: IKEv2 & DoS protection (whoops. resend)

> So the extra round trip vs a larger message 3 is completely a
> taste thing,
> and easy to change if that's what the WG wants.

My antecedent message was agreeing with the design decision you eventually
made, so there's no need to apologize for it.

If the goal is to optimize the protocol then optimize the protocol. It would
be silly not to take the average case into account. Repeating the info
allows a 4 message exchange, I guess (as long as you don't require PFS and
you don't accept ad hoc groups), but on average it takes more bandwidth for
the same number of round trips. Of course, this pre-supposes a
non-anarchistic future, in which everyone is not under DoS attack 24 hours a
day...

(What I sometimes bitch about is when people propose an optimization to the
protocol but they candy-coat it by calling it a simplification... <ducking>)

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.