From: Bill Sommerfeld [mailto:sommerfeld@east.sun.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 1:48 PM
To: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Please kill preshared key.

Since there are people arguing to save preshared key, I just wanted to
reemphasize that:

 0) it adds cryptographic complexity -- you essentially need a different
cryptographic protocol for PSK vs. signature keys.  Let's spend the cycles
of our cryptographers on more important stuff than this.

 1) it adds YET ONE MORE OPTION you need to test, one more knob you can
misconfigure.. more time for customers spent fumbling around trying to
figure out how to configure systems.

 2) equivalent functionality can be found in preconfigured public keys
and/or self-signed certificates.

There's no need for it, it adds complexity.  Kill it.

					- Bill