RE: Please save the pre-shared key mode

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Alister Yap wrote:

> And I fourth that! :-)
>
> PSK should be option for now and the future. For now, the obvious reason is
> interoperability between IPsec and PKI devices. PKI, at the moment, is still
> too immature a technology. For example, We have found that the
> implementation of certain standards vary between PKI vendors, IPsec CPE
> devices and Directory (CRL) infrastructure even though it is supposed to be
> based on 1 standard!
>
> Through much struggle, we have almost got a PKI system issuing certs and
> CRLs to our IPsec devices. On the other hand, PSK was very simple to use. It
> took us almost 6 months, numerous support cases and many sleepless nights to
> get our PKI working with our IPsec devices! In that sense, PSK should be an
> option for companies looking to go to market quickly and with as little
> hassle as possible [with the understanding that it is much less secure].
>
> Till PKI fully interworks with IPsec devices, only then should we decide
> whether to drop PSK or not.

There are multiple ways of rolling out a pki, PKI, or PKi (yes, they are all
different ;). They don't have to be PKIX-complex (is that a superset of
NP-complete?). You can do it MUCH simpler, and still secure, and not need
pre-shared symmetric keys. Use a pre-shared self-signed certificate, or
pre-share the md5-signature of the key, and send it SSH style.

There's simply no reason to have pre-shared symmetric keys.

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

Follow-Ups: References: