Re: Please kill preshared key.

Hi Bill!

Let's try to look at the details:
----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@east.sun.com>
To: <ipsec@lists.tislabs.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 8:47 PM
Subject: Please kill preshared key.

> Since there are people arguing to save preshared key, I just wanted to
> reemphasize that:
>
>  0) it adds cryptographic complexity -- you essentially need a
> different cryptographic protocol for PSK vs. signature keys.  Let's
> spend the cycles of our cryptographers on more important stuff than
> this.
IKE-SIGAM (and I think IKEv2 also, if PKS authentication is added) with
pre-shared key authentication differ from signatures authentication is
*exactly two points*
1) The calculation of SKEYID in IKE-SIGMA and of SKEYSEED in IKEv2.
2) If you are using signatures authentication you add a signature and
signture verification on top of the hash calculation.

>  1) it adds YET ONE MORE OPTION you need to test, one more knob you
> can misconfigure.. more time for customers spent fumbling around
> trying to figure out how to configure systems.
One option out of how many options?  Is this really the one that will turn a
product from an easy to configure one to a non-configurable?

>  2) equivalent functionality can be found in preconfigured public keys
> and/or self-signed certificates.
Is performance a non-issue? How many CPU cycles are consumed by HMAC-SHA1?
How many are consumed by RSA/DSA signature?

What about extra hardware I might need to add if public cryptography based
authentication is a must? What if I am a cellular vendor? PDA?

> There's no need for it, it adds complexity.  Kill it.
>
> - Bill
There is a need. Yes, it adds one more option, but the (small amount of)
complexity added here is justified, and we must support it,

 Sara