RE: Some comments on JFK

Eric,

	Ack! You are right, my appologies.

	I think we need to be very clear as to what the initial round trip
is achieving. If al we need to do is to protect against the DoS attack then
it is better to reconfigure the exchange so that DoS protection is an option
for the responder if it discovers it is under DoS attack.

	The specification cannot force the responders to implement DoS
protection, it can only require compliance with a certain message set. The
cookie does not by itself provide DoS protection, only if the responder has
some ability to filter out DoS attacks from particular IP addresses is there
an actual protection against DoS.

	Sending the key exchange data in the initial exchange has the
advantage of allowing the responder to make an informed decision as to
whether to accept the request, defer it with a cookie challenge or reject it
on the basis of the information in the request.

I->R   Request [x]

R	Are we under DoS attack?
	No perform key agreement, send R->I Response [x]
	Yes from specific sources
		Is I a specific source?
			Yes, send R->I Reject [x]
			No, send Response [x]
	Yes, from difuse source
		Send Challenge [x]

	This may appear to be complex, but that is the nature of a good DoS
response. An implementation may still opt to implement challenges under all
circumstances at the cost of always requiring an extra round trip.

	I reiterate the assertion that it is too early to go down grovelling
at the bit level. We should look at the abstract protocol before getting
into message size measuring contests.

		Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist