RE: Please save the pre-shared key mode

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Wang, Cliff wrote:
>>> other hand, PSK based IKE and PKI based IKE has been the main way people
>>> deploying VPN. Under that context, PSK is simpler to run than PKI.
>> I think that's the myth Dan was talking about.
>
> From the operation point of view, PSK is quick and easy to set up service.
> It works and customers are happy. It is more real than a myth.

The myth being referred to is the notion that PSK is somehow unique in
being quick and easy to set up, because public keys absolutely require
PKI.  That's wrong.  It is just as quick and easy to set up with preshared
*public* keys.  You don't need a PKI to use public keys.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net