RE: Please save the pre-shared key mode

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Wang, Cliff wrote:
>> The myth being referred to is the notion that PSK is somehow unique in
>> being quick and easy to set up, because public keys absolutely require PKI.
>> That's wrong.  It is just as quick and easy to set up with preshared
>> *public* keys.  You don't need a PKI to use public keys.
>
> Unfortuanately, the pre-shared public key option is not widely avaialble in
> most products which service provider can use...

The protocols which we are currently discussing are not widely available
in most products, indeed they are not available at all in any products.
We are discussing how a new protocol should be designed.  Options which
are not generally available in current protocols can be made generally
available in new ones.

> Among the available solutions,
> PSK is easier, simpler, and more efficient to run than a PKI based solution.
> Is that also a myth?

No, it is merely irrelevant.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net