RE: discussion of SIGMA-IKE

Hugo and myself both missed the deadline, largely because JFK itself only
came out just before the deadline.

XKASS was published long before JFK was released however and is still
available on www.xmltrustcenter.org. The only thing that has not been
available is the same document in plaintext form rather than pdf.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we should only discuss JFK because
it is the only draft submitted to the working group before the cutoff for a
single IETF meeting. Clearly we want the discussion at Salt Lake City to be
as productive as possible and that is best achieved by discussing all the
possible options.

The key issues for me are

1) The extent to which JFK and SIGMA achieve identity concealment that is
useful in a realistic application.
2) The extent to which identity concealment matter.

If the group agrees with my position on either of these points then the
reconfiguration of JFK so that it becomes a 2+4 message protocol becomes a
no-brainer. In the process JFK becomes practically identical to XKASS.

I take great issue with the attempt to claim SIGMA is three message. In
order to achieve all you need to achieve you require a fourth message. As
presently specified the initiator never knows:

	1) IF the agreement completed
	2) WHEN the agreement completed.

So the initiator has to guess when to start sending packets authenticated
using the key, it is a mess, it is unworkable, SIGMA is BROKEN (from a
protocol design point of view, not cryptographic) without a fourth message -
so might as well make good use of it.

The comparison between JFK/XKASS and SIGMA then becomes 2/4 vs 4/6.

		Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.