From: Jan Vilhuber [mailto:vilhuber@cisco.com]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 3:44 PM
To: Wang, Cliff
Cc: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: RE: Please save the pre-shared key mode

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Wang, Cliff wrote:

> This thread is talking about saving the pre-shared key mode, instead
> of saying nothing else works.
>
> I am not sure how you can hide a whole PKI system away under smart UI?

I'm not about to design your products for you, but several alternatives have
been proposed, ranging from using self-signed pre-shared certs and using
key-finger-prints in lieu of a pre-shared key. The rest is up to you.

> I am also not sure how smart UI can solve the issue that on Cisco low
> end box PKI based IPsec performs much slower in comparison to PSK
> based IPsec.

The last point seems completely off topic. I can't run linux on my
wristwatch either. What's the point? New things may only work on newer
boxes.

jan

vilhuber@cisco.com
> > Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408)
527-0847