From: Henry Spencer [mailto:henry@spsystems.net]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 4:46 PM
To: Wang, Cliff
Cc: 'Jan Vilhuber'; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: RE: Please save the pre-shared key mode

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Wang, Cliff wrote:
>> The justification being offered for saving it is "nothing else works"
>> -- that is, that there is no other equally quick and simple way of
>> setting up a simple connection.  This is false.  There are non-PKI
>> approaches to public keys which are just as simple and easy as PSK.
>
> ...Where are these alternative approaches documented in the form of
> internet draft?

I don't know that anyone has ever thought to document them in I-Ds, since
mostly they are too simple to need much explaining.  The hard part is
deprogramming people from the "public key implies PKI" religion.

Self-signed certs are a well-known concept, and fit naturally into existing
cert machinery.

RFC 3110 documents how to represent (in DNS) RSA public keys without
involving any form of certificate.  We used that as our representation.
We preconfigure with public keys in much the same way that we preconfigure
with shared secrets.  What else is there to tell?

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net