Re: Son-of-IKE Performance

In message <200112072110.fB7L9uG01024@fatty.lounge.org>, Dan Harkins writes:
>  I am well aware it is possible to derive keys for many SAs out of
>a mutually authenticated shared secret.
>
>  My point is that just saying "by obvious means" is not good enough.
>After seeing how emminently reasonable people interpreted "by obvious
>means" differently during implementation of RFC2409 I think it is
>necessary to explain the means exactly.
>
>  My stretching wasn't the "obvious" one? Well there's another person
>on this list who thought it was. Moreover, there is nothing in JFK
>to say it was the incorrect way or that what means "obvious" to you
>is the correct way. Do you see the problem?

Dan -- if we were about to issue "Last Call" on JFK, I'd not only agree
with you, I'd be leading the charge.  We're not nearly at that stage
yet.  The purpose of the JFK draft was to describe a cryptographic
protocol, not (yet) an implementation spec.  Clearly, there are many
ways to derive the four needed keys from the one exchange; equally
clearly, a final spec *must* specify exactly one, in very precise form.
If and when the WG agrees on JFK, we'll happily fill in those details.

But those details are not nearly as controversial as JFK vs. IKEv2 vs.
SIGMA vs. XKASS, and not even as controversial as the requirements on
which we'll base that choice.  This is, I think, obvious to everyone.
Why are you beating on this point?  Is there anyone here, with the
possible exception of you, who thinks that this is the crucial criterion
on which the WG is going to decide among the different proposals?

To my mind, the next interesting issue is what the SA description
should look like.  I've heard many complaints that the current standard
is a significant source of complexity and interoperability problems.
In fact, I'd planned on writing a draft on that issue, but a number of
things (including the events of September 11) interfered.

(Inflammatory comments deleted.)

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com