RE: Please save the pre-shared key mode

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Alex Alten wrote:

> And "setup" better include:
> 1. Key generation
> 2. Key distribution (in a trustworthy manner)
> 3. Key performance during the initial authentication of the session.
>
> Given these, PSK beats PK on #1 and #3 hands down.
> They are the same for #2.

Re #1: Actually, you stand a better chance of having a device generate a
*good* RSA keypair, than coming up with a *good* pre-shared symmetric key by
yourself (most people don't like machine generated random pre-shared keys).
Most users pick dictionary words, so I'd say PK beats symmetric keys by a
long shot. It may TAKE longer (in terms of processing power), but you're
going to be more secure. But processing time doesn't mean a thing for key
generation as it's a one-time thing, and not per-connection-setup.

If #3 is a real concern, consider KINK...

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847