Re: comments on jfk and ikev2 drafts

 Ari> Michael Richardson wrote:
 >> Suggested text:
 >>
 >> The Vendor ID Payload contains a vendor defined constant.  The
 >> constant is used by vendors to identify and recognize remote
 >> instances of their implementations.  This mechanism allows a
 >> vendor to experiment with new features while maintaining backwards
 >> compatibility.
 >>
 >> The Vendor ID payload is both an announcement from the sender of
 >> which space private payload types will come from, and also an
 >> announcement of the sort of private payloads it is willing to
 >> accept.

That is fine for some implementations but I believe this is more
restrictive than necessary.

The first part is clearly true: the Vendor ID identifies the number
space of transmitted private payloads.  And presumably that host will
also understand inbound private payloads for that same vendor ID.

But a host that sends vendor ID X may also understand and accept
received private payloads from any number of other vendor IDs.  In
fact, this pretty much has to be true if you're experimenting
cross-vendor with a new feature that's encoded in private payloads.

So what I would say instead is:
  The Vendor ID payload indicates which space private payload types
  transmitted by this node are taken from.  A node may be able to
  accept and understand private payloads from multiple vendors; in
  that case, it would use the received Vendor ID to identify the
  number space to which inbound private payload types belong.

      paul

Follow-Ups: References: