RE: IKEv2 and SIGMA

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Andrew Krywaniuk wrote:

[....]

> The issue here is that one of the protocols (SIGMA) has been specifically
> designed to have repudiation in the phase 1. For JFK and IKEv2, I don't

SIGMA was NOT specifically designed for this. Every bit in SIGMA has
a role in the provability of the core security properties.
The non-transferable proofs are a nice side-effect and, as you pointed
out, it cannot always be guaranteed if the peer is malicious.

> think either repudiation or non-repudiation were design constraints. JFK
> always provides non-repudiation, but that is most likely by convenience
> rather than by design. IKEv2 has repudiation in the normal case, but this
> can be thwarted by the responder (the attack I mentioned below).

> SIGMA has a more elaborate hash calculation in order to avoid the
> possibility of signing anything that the peer generated. However, the device
> still signs the peer's cookie (and it should be just as easy to lauch the
> attack with a cookie as with a nonce) so SIGMA doesn't actually prevent this
> attack either. Therefore, I think the more generic hash calculation from
> IKEv2 is preferable.

The hash calculation of SIGMA is to make sure you MAC (or prf)
the ID. This same MAC can go outside the signature; it just saves
space if you put it inside. Again, the fundamental issue is that you
make absolutely sure to include the sender's ID under the MAC.

> I don't personally care whether we design for repudiation or non-repudiation
> or neither. However, I would like to know that if we are adding special
> constraints to the protocol then we are at least getting something for it.
> How many WG members would need to require a repudiatable exchange before
> this became a Son-of-IKE design requirement?
>
> BTW, Hugo, you never explained why it was essential for IKEv2 to sign the
> identity and I can't see any justification for this requirement. Is this
> because:
>
> a) It has not been proven secure not to sign the identity?
> b) It has been proven insecure not to sign the identity?

It has been proven INSECURE not to MAC the identity.  If you sign the
identity but do not include a MAC the protocol is insecure. This uses a
10+ year (simple but non-obvious) attack discovered by Diffie, van
Oorschot and Wiener, and a main motivation behind SIGMA's (and IKE)
design.

Sara Bitan will be making a presentation at the ipsec meeting
where hopefully some of these crypto issues will be clarified.

Hugo

> Andrew
> There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
> history has shown that with time, hard work,
> and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.

Follow-Ups: References: