Re: Comment regarding Nonce size

> PS: the above paragraph about the pre-hashing of long keys in
> HMAC also
> gives you a partial answer on your other question
> about what's the benefit of using nonces that are longer than the hash
> output size: while the extra length is not strictly needed, and can
> even be considered a "waste" if the nonce bits are TRULY random,
> the extra length may potentially help in the typical case
> that these bits
> are generated out of a weaker source of (pseudo) randomness.

It seems to me that this is only an advantage if you have a weak RNG but you
don't know it. If you think you have a weak RNG, wouldn't a better solution
be to generate a large nonce with sufficient entropy and then hash it down
to the size of the HMAC output? That would save bits on the wire, with no
apparent drawbacks.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.

Follow-Ups: References: