Re: Should Alice say who she wants to talk to?

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Sara Bitan wrote:

> Radia - why aren't the (IKEv2 analog to) phase II IDs sufficient to handle
> that scenario you are describing?

Because they are way too late in the exchange to be of any use in picking
which identity a server may want to pose as.

> Does each one of the services/ the hosts behind the firewall have a distinct
> private/public key pair?

Yes.

> And another comment: if you move IDr to message number 1, and the initiator
> doesn't sign it since you want to avoid introducing NR, then the protocol is
> exposed to the DVW attack. As you said, the simple algorithm that IKEv2 uses
> "sign messages 1 and 2, and integrity protect messages 3 and 4" doesn't work
> any more, hence you must add the responder's identity explicitly to the MAC
> calculation in message 3.
> I think that the option that you are proposing to add to IKEv2 is a good
> motivation to adopt SIGMA's way of explicitly MACing the identities.
> If the protocol specifies all the components that ensure the correctness of
> the key exchange cryptographic protocol (i.e. the MAC'd identities and
> signed public exponent and nonces) explicitly, then you have the advantage
> of moving IDs and exponents (almost) freely between  messages without the
> risk of breaking the protocol.
> If we will not include the identities explicitly under the MAC we will have
> to always twick the protocol to keep it secure, and ask the cryptographers
> to prove that the twicks are indeed not breaking the protocol.

Nit: s/twicks/tweaks/g

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

Follow-Ups: References: