Re: IKE v2 Requirements and backwards compatability

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Scott Fanning wrote:
> Should there be a requirement that IKEv2 be able to interoperate with
> IKEv1? There is a large deployed base, and a migration path to the new
> version should be an requirement.

The migration path, clearly, is "support both".  That's trivial if they
are using different ports, although less so if IKEv2 stays on UDP/500.

There is no way to require the two *protocols* to be interchangeable
without sacrificing most of the benefits we hope to see from IKEv2.  But
it is implementations, not protocols, which interoperate.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net

Follow-Ups: References: