Re: IKEv2 and NAT traversal

Jayant Shukla wrote:
> Very interesting! This is the approach that I had proposed @ San Diego.
> Essentially you can take two* approaches to solving the NAT problem.
> First approach is to prevent the NATs from modifying the part of the
> packet that you care about. The second approach is to let NATs modify
> the packet and just reverse the effect of NATs at the receiver.
>
> ESP-UDP is the former approach and ours is the latter approach.

There are some things that one should stay away from, but I just
can't resist.. SSH already has a patent (application?) for that latter
approach as well. I don't have the number right now, but it was applied
for in Finland, and some years back. I seem to remember that it was granted.
I just mention this because you said you had some patent application..

Purely technically, my view is that ignoring NAT effects is simpler than
trying to compensate. It's also quite sufficient to solve the problem.

> The way we have designed the solution, you don't need any modifications
> to IKE. Our solution is a more general NAT traversal solution, and
> non-IPsec people can also use it. The solution is ready and hopefully we
> will be ready to release it by March-April 2002.

This WG is about making interoperable protocols. Why would the release
date of your company's product be significant?

Ari

temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Ari Huttunen                   phone: +358 9 2520 0700
Software Architect             fax  : +358 9 2520 5001

F-Secure Corporation       http://www.F-Secure.com

F(ully)-Secure products: Securing the Mobile Enterprise

Follow-Ups: References: