RE: Michael's comments on ikev2 draft

> > Agreed. Implementations which don't send deletes continue
> to be a source of
> > interoperability problems.
>
> Which indicates foolish assumptions on the other end, since
> delivery of
> Delete is unreliable and most aspects of Delete support are optional.

The problem is that the WG never standardized on an interoperable rekeying
behaviour. We follow the now-expired Tim Jenkins rekeying draft, but others
have invented at least 3 other distinct rekeying techniques. Fortunately,
where incompatibilities exist, they are mostly fixed by the reception of a
delete. The delete may be unreliable, but it still gets there most of the
time.

(I should point out that if the ADs had let us evolve IKE 3 years ago, we
would have all implemented acknowledged deletes by now.)

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.

Follow-Ups: References: