Re: IKE v2 Requirements and backwards compatability

At 8:15 PM -0500 12/17/01, Henry Spencer wrote:
>Fortunately, ISAKMP includes a
>version number and mandates rejecting packets with unknown versions,

Well, it's a SHOULD, not a MUST. RFC 2408, section 3.1:

        Implementations SHOULD
        never accept packets with a major version number larger than its
        own.

But I think we can ignore that difference and assume that if any
implementation does accept packets with a version higher than 1 are
poorly designed.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium