Re: IKEv2 traffic selector subsetting.

Steve,

Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> writes:

> We have maintained that the SA binding for a packet must be
> maintained to ensure that the firewall-style rule checks are applied
> to packets in the context of the SAs with which the rules are
> associated.

What I don't understand is why this 'binding' needs to be agreed upon?
The binding of the packet to the SA is quite easy -- the packet is
encrypted/signed under the ESP/AH key negotiated earlier.  If the
"firewall" rules are locally defined, then isn't it sufficient to know
within the IPsec/firewall processing that a particular inbound packet
is associated with SA #x?

What do traffic selectors really buy you in the face of
locally-defined firewalling rules?  I suppose it can be a "request" of
your peer not to send you traffic that you plan to drop/ignore.  But
that's just a convenience for your sake; you still have to check every
packet against your local inbound rules.

> Steve

-derek