Re: draft-ietf-ipsec-son-of-ike-protocol-reqts-00.txt

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Shane Amante wrote:

> The following comments and suggestions relate to requirements offered
> in: draft-ietf-ipsec-son-of-ike-protocol-reqts-00.txt.
>

> 7.  Improve Simplicity
>
> [NOTE: this is kind of touched upon in Section 6 "Documenting Errors",
> but I think the following point needs to be called out in specific
> detail in Section 7.]
>
> There MUST be clear, concise definition of errors reported to
> end-users during or after a failed IKE negotiation.  I recommend
> something along of the lines of SMTP or HTTP status codes be tailored
> specifically to the IKE state machine and its transactions.
>
> Furthermore, an end-user should NOT have to enable IKE debugging on a
> IPSec device in order to expose the specific reason (IKE status code)
> why an IKE negotiation failed.
>
> The goal here is to _consistently_ deliver clear, concise messages to
> the "common [wo]man" to make it easy to spot, relay and/or
> troubleshoot error messages.

Surely you don't think that belongs on a protocol spec. However you
choose to implement this is up to you.

I certainly don't object to clarifying error codes, but a protocol
spec doesn't need to spell out how these should be displayed to the
user.

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

Follow-Ups: References: