RE: draft-ietf-ipsec-son-of-ike-protocol-reqts-00.txt

You are right in that a protocol spec need not spell out how the error
message should be displayed to the user, but it could define a message
format that enables better trouble-shooting. For example the notification
message can be format 'error code + error string', where the string
allows the sender to add more error detail. For example today a notification
such as 'no proposal chosen' does not exactly convey why the proposal was
rejected. An error string could furthur identify the problem such as group
or lifetime attribute is not acceptable..

-- sankar --