RE: IKEv2 traffic selector subsetting.

> > It seems to me that 2401 is trying to skirt the issue by
> integrating the
> > functionality of a very basic firewall into IPsec (thus
> *causing* the SADB
> > and firewall to be on the same machine).

> Exactly!  This is never advertised as such in the IPsec
> documents for some
> unfathomable reason -- much confusion would be saved if it
> were made more
> explicit -- but they basically include a specification for an
> Internet-standard minimum firewall mechanism.

Which brings us right back to the original point of the thread. Traditional
firewalls enforce a policy without advertising it. IPsec SPD firewalls add
this extra 'selector negotiation' feature. However, the IPsec selectors are
not adequate to express the entire spectrum of what a fully featured
firewall can use. I prefer the model in which each side merely enforces its
own policy.

If you desire the capability to detect and avoid black holes (a feature not
found in traditional firewalls), then it would be preferable for both peers
to issue ukases describing what types of traffic they are willing to accept.
This avoids the aforementioned problem where the responder chooses selectors
that don't match the triggering packet, and it makes it easy to add or
delete policies without renegotiating the SA.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.

Follow-Ups: References: