Re: What is the standardization status of AES in IPSec?

>Hello:
>
>Can any one give me an update on the standardization status of using AES in
>IPSec?
>
>I am reading ģThe AES Cipher Algorithm and Its Use With IPsecī
><draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-cbc-03.txt> and read ģ Once NIST has published
>the AES FIPS ... AES should become a default and mandatory-to-implement
>cipher algorithm for IPSecī.
>
>FIPS-197 was out in Nov-2001. When an IPSec/AES RFC is expected to come out?
>
>Thanks,
>---------------------------------------
>Andrew Zhu
>HP Systems Networking Solution Lab
>IP Security & System Firewall Project
>Andrew_zhu@hp.com

I anticipate mandating use of AES in ESP, initially in CBC mode.  I
would anticipate 128 bit key support as the default.

As always, vendors are free to support other modes and key lengths,
but we have to select a default, mandatory to implement mode and key
length for the standard.

Steve