From: Jari Arkko [mailto:jari.arkko@kolumbus.fi]
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 1:43 AM
To: Hilarie Orman, Purple Streak Development;
Mark.Winstead@NetOctave.com
Cc: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: What is the standardization status of AES in IPSec?

> I'm curious as to how many people believe that a MUST for a 128-bit AES
> key means a MUST for 128 bits of entropy in the key.

I don't. While I believe we should move to AES as soon as possible, I
don't necessarily believe in the statement that all components of the
protocol set must be equally strong; you should be able to take advantage
of a new good algorithm even if you can't for e.g. computational reasons
increase Diffie-Hellman key lengths quite as much.

Thus, I believe we should standardize groups matching AES strength,
but not make them mandatory. And we need to explain the strength
issues somewhere.

Jari