RE: What is the standardization status of AES in IPSec?

I think it a good idea to begin with one key length such as 128. Because
this key length can fit in the current IKE and virtually needs no dramatic
changes. Larger DH group MODP length may be the only exception.

Actually, if IETF do not make 128 entropy a MUST for AES-128, DH 1024 and
1536 MODP is still a viable thing. One of the benefits of using AES in this
way is its performance. In our HP lab available soft-implementation of AES
and 3DES, AES only takes almost 1/3 of 3DES time in en/de-crypt ion.
Performance is crucial especially to software-only IPSec implementation.
Interesting enough, I found nearly the same speed ratio in some hardware
implementation.

Andrew
Andrew Zhu
HP Systems Networking Solution Lab