RE: RESEND: Thoughts on identity attacks

Paul,

Perhaps the fact that there were no responses suggests that not enough
people think it is important.  Let me introduce a counter view.  I not only
think it is not important but I think that pursuit of this goal risks
further complicating an already too complicated protocol.  I really think
our energies are best directed at more important issues.

After a year of discussions on requirements with product management of all
the big VPN manufacturers, I have never even once heard that identity
protection or 'obfuscated identities' are a requirement.  Of course as the
chair of the VPNC you may know much more about these matters and I would be
delighted if you or someone could point me at data that suggests that this
is a requirement among manufacturers and/or the user community.

My concern is that this requirement comes out of our own knowledge of what
good security practices should be - however far removed from current
practices they are.  Is it unreasonable to ask that what we know as good
security practices be reconciled with the ability of the user community to
employ and the manufacturers to support?  Can't some kind of a balance be
struck?  The risk if we proceed with this feature is that it may get tested
and have a couple of 'reference implementations built but will never be used
in any reasonable sized deployment.  We will have satisfied our academic and
research interests but will not have produced a thing widely used/usable.
In fact we may have complicated the overall solution and made it's adoption
even harder.

I think most companies find PKI itself too complicated.  Both VPN solution
providers and large users seem to prefer to stick with shared passwords
rather than build support for or manage a PKI.  Things like PKIX compliant
path validation, CRL / OCSP support, certificate life cycle management,
enrollment, etc. scare away all but the most intrepid.  At this point I
would NOT recommend adding any more features and would only consider
removing/simplifying some.  After there is a large population of users we
can learn from actual security breaches and address security concerns that
arise - as they arise - in future enhancements to the protocol.

Khaja
Khaja E. Ahmed
khaja.ahmed@cavium.com
khaja.ahmed@attbi.com