RE: why the SAs are unidirectional

At this point, it just comes down to what you want to name things. In IPsec,
an SA is unidirectional object with a 32 bit id, so we're stuck with that.
Since IKE does all its operations on pairs of SAs, it is very easy to create
a "Bidirectional SA" abstraction that has two 33 bit ids.

In our case, we went one step further and created a "Protection Suite"
abstraction, which is composed of all the ESP, AH, and IPCOMP SAs in both
directions. The fact that the protection suite is sent on the wire as a
bunch of individual SAs doesn't make much difference, implementation wise,
except that it's perhaps not the optimal encoding.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.