RE: NAT Traversal

> PS: Can I repeat my mantra?  NAT is the spawn of the devil and should
> be eradicated from the face of the planet.  If necessary, we should
> nuke it from orbit -- it's the only way to be sure!

You can repeat it as long as you like, just recognise that the need for NAT
arose in part from design decisions the IETF itself screwed up and that an
Internet protocol, particularly a security protocol has no business being
deployed if it can't cope with NAT.

Like it or not, NAT is part of the infrastructure we have to deal with in
the real world. It is as much a part of the Internet as sendmail or any of
the other junk that is out there.

On the other hand I don't see any reason that ESP mode needs to work with
NAT, but then again I never saw a need for ESP.

I think it is important that a solution is decided upon quickly however.
Otherwise the number of ad-hoc fixes that grow up to fix the NAT problem
will grow exponentially and with it the number of additional targets that
Derek will be lobbying to add to the axis of evil.

The problem with NAT suggests to me that their authentication role was not
properly understood in IPSEC. I have never seen an internet service
advertised by IP address (except for the A root). Ergo it is not a primary
authentication point.

The IP address is sometimes a secondary authentication mechanism and should
be validated as part of the process of establishing an SA.

		Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker (E-mail).vcf