Re: draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-01.txt

Dan:

I've got a question on the use of shared secrets to authenticate
messages in the Phase I exchange in ikev2-01.  I assume that shared
secrets are linked to the peers' identities. The initiator authenticates
before it has learned the responder's identity.  So, if it authenticates
using a shared secret, how does it determine what key to use?
Does it assume that the responder's IP address is its identity (as
I believe was done in IKEv1), or do we assume that the initiator has
some other way of learning the responder's identity?

Thanks in advance,

Cathy Meadows